Monday, January 31, 2005

Democracy in Action

OK, OK, i know - a liberal democrat is not supposed to feel this way, according to conservative stereotyping. Regardless of that, however, I just want to post how moved I am by the Iraqi's who came out to vote yesterday - they braved far more odds than we ever have to just to get to the polls, and odds are that their turnout will be higher than ours.

This is by no means me condoning our action in Iraq, by the way - I'm still quite conflicted on that, mainly because many of those you yell at me for not condoning our entry into that country are the same who opposed nation building practices while Bill Clinton was president. Didn't Bill present evidence of Iraqi WMD in 98... and didn't congressional Republicans tell him he couldn't go in? Oh yeah - look it up, folks.

Anyways, don't tell me that your full and total assetion that the President was completely right isn't based, somewhat, on your party affiliation - so don't tell me that I "disrepect the troops" or have "no ideas about foreign policy strength" - think about it yourselves, won't you?

The idea that our troops fought and died for in the sand is the same idea that Iraqi's braved terror for - freedom - It's the same idea that you and I have the ability to excercise everyday, so please, please, try and use it - don't just regurgiate the party line - think.

I will if you will.

Deal?

No comments: