Monday, June 06, 2005

First Place

I know, I know, it won’t last, but it sure sounds nice, doesn’t it? The first time a DC team has been in first this late in a season since 1933. They went on to win the pennant. Now, I don’t think that will happen this year, but we’ll at least challenge down the stretch. It’s good for baseball and it’s good for DC, whose fans deserve a team that can get them all on their collective feet.

A word about Marlon Byrd. I wasn’t there Saturday night, but I was watching at home. I won’t comment on what MLB will do ( I have no basis to judge) but I will back up Frank Robinson on his statement – with the team hurting (Wilkerson hurting, Guillen hit by a pitch in the hand) the LAST thing Byrd should have done was get himself ejected and then probably suspended for multiple games.

Finally, A word on stadium chants – Most of them I get, and we all seem to have fun with. I question, however, the “Day-o” chant. What purpose does it serve? Where does it come from? We go to the games, we all cheer “day-o” and none of us knows why. Can someone explain this? Best answer on the message board might win a prize.

From Nationals Pride

No comments: