Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Thank God for Pitchers and Catchers

No, this is not a baseball post.

As I write this, one of the best sports on the planet is about to close down it's flagship league. That's right folks, the NHL is going down the can.

Now, I know many of you aren't sad about this, and could care less. For me, though, Hockey was not only something I watched and shared with my dad growing up, but it was also a big part of my time at college. I know that it may not translate well to TV, and that there would need to be rule changes to make it more fan friendly - hell, I can name a few changes myself - but that doens't mean we should just kiss it goodbye.

So please, for me, for my die hard hockey fan family, for ESPN's John Buccigross, and for the legions of kids who lace up the skates every weekend - hang your head in a moment of silence today around 11am, because that's when commish Gary Bettman steps up to the podium and kisses it all goodbye.

No comments: